Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Summer (Autumn, Winter & Spring) of Our Discontent

I have been a regular Linux user since sometime in 2002. Generally I have dual-booted with Windows 98/XP or Vista, but once or twice there were two Linuxes competing with Windows for space on my hard drive. Currently my computer is 100% Microsoft free.

To the best of my recollection, these are the Linux distributions that I have tried:

SuSe 8.0 This was my first experience with Linux. I didn't know at the time that software didn't have to come in a box with a manual and cost $40 or more. But you will forgive me... we were using dial-up at the time! More recently I also tried a Suse 11.0 beta version.

Red Hat 7.something. I think someone at the Grand Rapids Linux Users Group gave me the disk. More recently I have tried Fedora 9 (Red Hat's "community" version).

Knoppix 3.something, and more recently, 5.3.1

Debian 3.something

Mepis 6, SimplyMepis 7

Kubuntu 6.04, 6.10, 7.04, 7.10, 8.04, 8.10 (Obviously I've spent some time here.)

PCLinuxOS 2007, PCLinuxOS 2008

Sidux 2007-04 (Eros)

Mandriva 2008

Elive 1.8.2, 1.8.4

Clonezilla

GParted

And finally... in case you were wondering... my "Linux du jour," Arch Linux.

Do you think I have a problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment