So, in my developing desktop, I am using Mepis 8 beta, KDE 3.5.9, and the beautiful Xaphire theme mentioned in my previous post, which satisfies my need for a dark glassy classy look. Perhaps I don't need to hurry in reinstalling KDE 4.1!
Mepis 8 also provides the tools to help me with another issue... network configuration. I really don't have a difficult setup... Verizon dsl, Actiontec router, & ethernet card. Somehow, though, I've been having issues, even since the new ethernet card. I'm beginning to wonder if the router is going bad. At any rate, the Mepis Network Assistant has been helpful each time in getting the connection reestablished.
Other tools that I use a lot which are included in Mepis 8, or available in their standard repositories (accessible through Synaptic)--
- GIMP, (Gnu Image Manipulation Program: an open-source alternative to Photoshop), Blender (3-D modeling and animation),
- OpenOffice 3.0 (Microsoft Office alternative)
- Firefox 3.0.1
- Synaptic 0.62.1, my favorite package manager
- Bibletime 18.104.22.168, a great Bible study program
- automatic recognition and mounting of usb memory sticks, external hard drives, etc.
- Flashplayer works perfectly "out of the box" at Youtube, Foxnews, etc.